History of Hope House
Built in 1708 for a local councillor and mayor, who went on to collect the taxes to pay for the Palace, Hope House is one of a few grand houses in Woodstock designed in a Vanbrughan style. Constructed at the same time as Blenheim Palace it is easily understood why it has been described as a sister property. The railings to the front of the House and stone in which they are set, are the same as the ralings within the Palace grounds around the Queens Pond. The stone used for construction is from the same source as the Palace stone.
The flat roof is 18mm lead, a rare example of an original lead roof. It has generations of the family’s footprints carved into the lead. Several of the prints are of friends of the Money family including the Churchill family.
The Bay windows to the front of the house were added in the early 18th century.
The Malt House was as its name suggested where the family brewed local ales. At one point owning the Six Bells public House (now Real Wood Furniture Company).
The Money family owned and operated some of the glove making factories in Woodstock. Holding a coverted Royal Warrant to supply Queen Victoria with leather boots saddles and gloves, the family business blossomed in the 19th century. The lead warrant and gloves and glove making tools are featured in a display at the Woodstock Museum.
The Moneys have lived in the house for several centuries and it is still owned and operated by a descendant of the Money family.